After running into many problems while setting up wxWidgets, I decided to make a guide to help others set up wxWidgets 2.8.10 on a Windows computer using Microsoft Visual C++ 2008.
This may also work with Visual C++ 2005, but I have not tested it.
1. Watch this video (created by a third party):
Stop once he starts speaking about samples (6:57)
HOWTO: Install wxWidgets for use in Visual Studio Express
1.5. While following the steps below, watch this video I made:
2. Download these files: wx.vsprops and minimal.cpp.
NOTE: If you are on Windows XP use wx_fix.vsprops instead of wx.vsprops.
3. Move them to a suitable folder on your hard drive. For example: “D:\lib\cpp\wxWidgets\”
4. In wx.vsprops, change “D:\lib\cpp\wxWidgets\wxWidgets-2.8.10” to the installation directory for wxWidgets (that the first video directed you to choose)
5. Open Microsoft Visual C++
6. Go to File->New->Project
7. Select the “Empty Project” template
8. Name this project “wx_scrap1” and save it. For this example, I will save the project at “D:\lib\cpp\wxWidgets\wxWidgets-2.8.10”
9. Go to View->Property Manager
10. In the Property Manager, right-click on the name of your project in the tree view
11. Click “Add Existing Property Sheet”
12. Browse and locate the wx.vsprops file
13. Hit the save icon
14. Close the Property Manager
15. Add a new .cpp file to the project and call it “wx_scrap1.cpp”
16. Copy the code from minimal.cpp into it
17. Try to compile the code
18. If it works, congratulations! Otherwise, download wx_fix.vsprops, rename it to "wx.vsprops" and start from step 4
19. If it still doesn't work, post a comment.
Hope this guide helps!